Overnight, Amanda Gorman became a household name. She is the youngest inaugural poet in American history, a National Youth Poet Laureate and a New York Times bestselling author. But before her Instagram followers jumped from 3,000 to 3,000,000, Gorman faced rejection and struggled with a debilitating speech impediment . Join us this week as we tell her inspiring story, from bullies and skeptics to Capitol Hill.
Major sources for this episode include:
1. Black Enterprise: Special Needs To A Harvard Freshman, 19-Year Old Amanda Gorman
2. The Crimson: Amanda Gorman Was Awarded For Her Poetry As The Nation’s First Ever Youth Poet Laureate
3. New York Times: A Young Poet’s Inspiration
4. LA Times: How A 22-Year Old L.A. Native Became Biden’s Inauguration Poet
5. Moth GrandSLAM: Amanda Gorman “Roar”